Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Tuesday 28 April 2015

The little and large preemie tops...




After crocheting five Aran wool scarves, I have gone from one extreme to the other and turned my hands to knitting with 4 ply acrylic.  I had 4 complete balls of white/cream and a few oddments.  This is exactly the yarn requested by hospitals as it is suitable for small preemie babies and is easy to wash.

The pattern for the sleepsack came from the Cuddles website.  I altered the pattern slightly.  As written, it does not produce the garter ridge across the chest.  I corrected that by knitting what should have been a purl row.  I then ran out of  yarn just before the end.  I had a remnant of cream that was more banana in tone.  The difference is only obvious in a really good light, so I didn't actually realise when I started knitting that I had 2 shades of cream.  There was a timely flash of sunlight just before I joined the new yarn.  I added another garter ridge and it looks absolutely fine.

I can't remember where the other pattern came from, but it was lovely to knit as it is a seamless top-down pattern.  The only sewing was to sew in the ends and attach a button.  I chose a lovely pearly button from my recycled collection.  I also had the same buttons in the perfect shade of cream for the sleepsack.  I have been saving these buttons for years and can no longer remember where they came from.  But I am glad I saved them.

I don't know why I am surprised at the huge size difference in these two items.  Preemie babies come in all sizes, so they will fit someone.

These items were a great way to use up what looked like quite a small amount of yarn.  The sleepsack used 30g or yarn and the sleeveless cardigan used 36g.  These will eventually go off to PreemiesUK for distribution to hospitals in the UK.

Now, what to do with the 4 complete balls of 4 ply........watch this space!


8 comments:

  1. The sleep sack is a great idea and a wonderful cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great use of your yarn and a gratefully received contribution by the hospitals I am sure! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, Una. I especially like the sleep sack. I'm sure these items will be greatly appreciated by the parents of the preemies who receive them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are both so sweet Una, some preemie blankets with the other yarn perhaps. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so cute, and I like the garter ridge idea. Sweet dreams to the little ones who will wear them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Una these baby items you made are just lovely and so kind of you to make them for he babies in the hospital. Enjoy the weekend.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.