Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Saturday 8 August 2015

Five scarves and a hat....




A couple of years ago I bought a huge 400g ball of grey aran wool and acrylic mix.  It was one of those rare occasions when I actually go to a wool shop and pay full price!! That is probably why I made a rookie error and ended up buying the wrong shade of grey simply because I hadn't brought along the thing I was trying to match it to. Who'd have thought there are so many shades of grey?  Hey ho.  So it sat in a bag in the naughty corner.

Then I saw an appeal from Operation Orphan for scarves in shades of grey, black and navy blue.  Some of the older children prefer these colours.  I went off piste by adding eyeball-searing red.  But I made these items in sizes that will be more suitable for the younger children, so I think the bright red is going to be ok.

I managed to use up all the grey, some black oddments and most of the red.  My remaining aran yarn now fits into the palm of my hand.  I don't have any immediate plans to buy more....but I never say never!

My blog posts are very short at the moment as I am once again having an insanely busy summer.  I don't even have enough spare energy to think of clever blog post titles.  But I am still reading all my favourite blogs.  Happy August to everyone!


12 comments:

  1. That's really kind of you and I'm sure they'll like your scarves!
    Wishing you some quiet moments this summer, Sigrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely Una it's great that your stash of Aran has been put to such a good cause,working with Aran is difficult in the warmer weather I find. Enjoy your Summer it will be winter before we know it. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they are lovely, and warm is appreciated no matter the color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic work as always Una, are your scarves crocheted? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is one of my favourite scarf patterns as it is so quick http://jennozkan.com/2010/12/crochet-ribbed-scarf-its-like-knitting-only-better/

      Delete
  5. I love reading your funny, if short posts, Una. I think these scarves and hat are terrific. And I love the colors. I hope you find enjoyment in the busyness you're experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look really smart and warm, Una. The red works really well too. I still haven't tracked down my ball of grey aran, but I did find some black and have been making hats for teenagers with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are amazing but not as amazing as you!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think they are lovely and hopefully, the older children will like a splash of bright red!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The scarves and hat look great and I'm sure will be liked by everyone no matter what age they are. It's great to get that unused grey yarn used at last!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking knitted goods and sure to be loved. Visiting from Vicki, 2 Bags Full, to say congratulations on your journal win.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are beautiful and I like the color combo. August is VERY busy this year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.